As the days get darker and colder I love nothing more than to eat some yummy comfort food. You know the sort of thing, Macaroni & Cheese, Mash & Sausages and of course Cottage Pie. I love a nice vegetarian chilli con carne, but the kids don’t like it as it’s too spicy fo them and they all hate kidney beans. So I thought I would do a twist on the classic version and make it more child friendly. So I came up with my Baked Bean Chilli. Yep, I used a tin of baked beans and I must say it went down a treat.
Here’s the ingredients you need:
- Mince (I used Quorn mince)
- tin of baked beans ( use 2 tins if making for more than 2 people)
- a pinch of hot chilli powder
- a pinch of curry powder
- a tsp of ground turmeric
- Grated cheese to sprinkle on top
1. Put your rice on. Then fry your onions and mince.
2. Add all the spices and give a good stir
3. Add the beans and their bean juice, and cook until all nice and warm and yummy.
Serve with the boiled rice ans sprinkle with some cheese. I tried a new cheese from Castello. It’s called Tickler and it was a mature Devonshire cheddar and I must say it tasted really nice and made the whole dish taste even better.
The baked beans worked really well in this and the best news was that the kids loved it. Big bonus!
What do you think of my Baked Bean Chilli? Do you think it’s something you might like?
I used Castello cheese in this recipe which I received in return for this post. All opinions are mine