Good Tuesday Morning! I’ve been dying to share this recipe with everyone for Mac n Cheese. This is the real deal Mac n Cheese not the boxed type. Unfortunately, I’ve trained my girls taste buds to only recognize the boxed Mac n Cheese as the ‘real’ stuff. When I made this dish, I was so excited to share it with the family. I put some elbow grease into it and anxiously awaited to see everyone’s response at my dish. Two girls gave me double thumbs down and almost started crying while my husband and I couldn’t get enough.
I will warn you…this is NOT a low fat recipe and….it’s Mac n Cheese adults are sure to love!
I hope you love it too.
Enjoy your Tuesday.
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon powdered mustard
3 cups milk
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 large egg
12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
For the topping:
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente (when all else fails- underestimate the time).
3. While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a separate pot.
4. Whisk in the flour and mustard. Be sure to keep the mixture moving for about five minutes so it’s free of lumps.
5. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika.
6. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.
7. Temper in the egg.
This was my first time tempering an egg and it’s so easy. Take a little of your heated sauce and put into another bowl. Add the egg and quickly blend into the heated sauce. Now add the egg/sauce mixture back into the larger pot.
8. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese.
9. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Place the macaroni into a 2-quart casserole dish and fold in the sauce.
11. Top with remaining cheese.
12. Melt the ‘topping’ butter in a saute pan and toss with the bread crumbs to coat.
13. Top the macaroni with the butter/bread crumbs mixture.
14. Bake for 30 minutes and let it rest for five minutes before serving. I covered mine for the for 15 then took off the top.
Linking to some of these great parties